Transition from Print-to-Inventory to Print-On-Demand
Situation: Documents purchased in large quantities for low per unit price. Changes to materials were frequent, and waste was high resulting in additional financial costs. Increasing push to customize brochures for conventions, equipment shows, and other events – something not available with print-to-inventory.
Solution: Implemented a transitional warehouse program to work down inventory and move titles to print-on-demand (POD). Established a branded online ordering site. This single site supports all users and all products, both inventory and POD.
- Inventory depleted by 70% within 2 years
- 97% of future inventory, scrap, and associated costs eliminated
- Reduced overall print spend by 30%
- Immediate publication and production of new and revised titles
- Expanded the solution to other business areas